Monday, August 29, 2011

Growing Old Gracefully...

Well the last two weeks have been full to the brim with twists and turns re:  my dad and his world, and because I'm being the parent to the parent.. my world also.  

Trying to do this from afar has been a challenge... Dad is a little over 2 hours from us.  I've tried to convince him to move to our area, but thus far, to no avail.  I have to say after living his entire 87 years in the locale he's at, I do think it would be extremely hard.   Everywhere he goes, he knows people of course which would not be the case here, but I think there are some delightful people he could get to know.

There are things that are happening in his world that are so much out of his control and that has to be so very hard.  What a balancing act to keep things all together.  With some daily help for now we are trying to make it work.  Unfortunately people take advantage and that on of my biggest concerns.   And thankfully because of some twists and turns we've learned some things and it has forced us to make some changes, etc. etc. etc.  It feels like a thousand little details need to managed almost daily.. okay not a thousand, but at least 2 to 5 each and every day-with many phone calls in between.  Thus, it does feel like being a parent again.  Didn't my kids just get happily married to three wonderful spouses?!  Didn't that mean I was kind of "done"...  ?

Many, many others have walked this path before and I am learning so much from their wisdom and experience.  Truly an amazing gift to have a few that understand this path (much like asking other "moms" of toddlers what to do in each circumstance).  Scott is helping me try to put up boundaries and be wise in order to preserve my sanity....  He is so patient with me and helpful.

So the questions will be there for me...is this the right path today to lead Dad on,  what will his day be like today.  Lord help me come to a place of peace in all of this.  I'm hungry for that.  I know Lord that people deal with so much more than I am right now and they grab on to Your peace.  Help me do the same.  Help me provide a safe and good environment for Dad.   Help me find balance in it all so I can serve You well and enjoy the refreshing wonderful joys you've given in my life.  Truly life is like two rails on a track..somethings good are happening in your life while some things not so good.(Rick Warren)  Help me focus and be thankful for the amazing good things!!!  Wow..there are so many.  Help me count my blessings every day and thereby be so cheered.  Help me know loving and knowing You matters most and that You have purpose for me every day.    Let me not miss that.  Use the challenges too Lord.

Help me grow old gracefully myself... there are definitely some wonderful heroes and heroines in my life that show me that.   Thanks for their example!    Choosing to see the blessings daily, choosing to serve You with enthusiasm every day, choosing to talk to You every day, choosing relationships over things...is that growing old gracefully...I think it must be.

No comments:

Post a Comment